Favorite STEM Picture Books: Technology Edition


Last week I had a message from Kathy at Kidpeople Classroom suggesting that I link these posts to her Tuesday linky so I'm going to try to remember to do that!

Welcome back for another round of picture books to use as you incorporate STEM into your classroom. This week the topic is the T -- technology. Technology is not just about using computers and mobile devices in your room. Technology can also be considered all the tools people have developed to help with tasks. In my class, I like to incorporate information about inventors and inventions. I've been fortunate to be in a situation where we have two laptop carts so I have been able to introduce coding to students. Last year all but kindergarten participated in the Hour of Code and did a great job. Once again, click the picture to read a full description on Amazon. These books and others are added to my Pinterest STEM Lit board.

1. Ada's Ideas



Before last year I had never heard of Ada Lovelace. She was the daughter of the famous poet Lord Byron. Her mother was unhappy with her husband's wild and reckless lifestyle and left him when Ada was only one month old. She never saw her father again (he died when she was about eight years old). Ada's mother was a mathematician and she raised her daughter to have nothing to do with poetry and imaginative pursuits. As you see from the cover illustration, Ada had an imagination - she wanted to build a mechanical flying horse. Definitely not mother - approved!
Ada met Charles Babbage and ended up working with him on his machines. These machines were the beginnings of computers, and Ada is credited with being an early computer programmer.

If you have hoopla digital through your public library check for this e-book. I love the read-aloud version.


2. The Girl Who Could Talk To Computers

Grace Hopper is another amazing woman in a STEM field (I like those books). If you have ever "debugged" a computer or program you may have wondered where that word originated - it was Grace who literally removed a moth from the computer. Hour of Code is held in December to coincide with Grace Hopper's birthday, so when I teach coding I like to read this short rhyming book to students.

And a bonus pick!

You can't go wrong with Rear Admiral Grace Hopper!


3. Girls Think Of Everything



When I thought about a book of inventors to include, this book popped in. I read it last year and enjoyed all the stories of female inventors. While I didn't start this post idea thinking to highlight women, it does seem to fit in very nicely!

This is not a book to necessarily use as a read-aloud but it's great for sharing a few individual stories. A few of my favorites:

Ruth Wakefield  -  chocolate chip cookies
Stephanie Kwolek  -  Kevlar
Margaret E. Knight  --  paper bags

It's filled with interesting stories (including one about Grace Hopper). The best thing is that most of my books about inventors or inventions are male dominated. It's good to see the other side sometimes.



No comments

Powered by Blogger.