Favorite STEM Picture Books: Math Edition

I have spent the majority of my teaching career as a math and science teacher. During those years I collected many math picture books along with many other kids books. When I decided to downsize I ended up giving many of my books away to students. Most of what I kept, however, were my math books. Here are a few of my tried-and-true. By the way, I was assigned to teach Kindergarten for the upcoming year - self contained! I haven't taught K in many years other than in STEM lab, and I also have not taught ELA for almost as many years. It's going to be quite an adventure!
Today I took pictures of books I have at home - we all had to pack our classrooms up in May because our building was getting new carpet this summer.

1. Everything by Stuart J. Murphy!



I love these books! One of the best things about them is that they have the math concept listed on the front cover. For example, Earth Day, Hooray! is all about place value while Safari Park is about finding unknowns. Since I'm not picking just one book today, I linked the picture to the author for a listing of books. Enjoy!

2. Most Everything by Cindy Neuschwander



Why almost everything? Because she has a lot of books I have not used as yet! I've linked to her author page. Off-the-Charts Dessert is a great intro to different ways to display data. All the King's Tens is a great place value story that uses big numbers.

3. Pigs Stories by Amy Axelrod



I love the humor in the Pigs series. My favorite may be Pigs Will Be Pigs, which begins with a search of their house to find money to go to a restaurant for supper. When I taught third graders I gave them whiteboards so they could keep track of the money as it was found (in the cushions, the washing machine, etc). Then we would do menu math - not just for the restaurant in the book, but also as a math center with restaurant menus from local places. 

1 comment

  1. OMG - Last year my students were obsessed either with pigs or bacon! I love your whiteboard idea to use with these books!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.