Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Starting With STEM



I spent the last seven years teaching third grade, the last five as a math and science teacher. In the last couple of years, I fell completely in love with teaching STEM. I dabbled at first and found that my students wanted much more - at least once a week activities.

Our school got a new principal in December and she mentioned to me that she was thinking about having a STEM lab as part of our block rotation (like art and music). Of course, I immediately told her that I wanted that job if it happened! In April she pulled me into her office to tell me that our district had approved her request and I had the job. I have been so excited ever since. In August I will begin teaching K-5 in my new classroom. With as many as ten classrooms in some grade levels,  it will take up to two weeks to see all the classes. That's a totally new challenge for me so I am spending a lot of time this summer planning for each grade level.

So far I have divided up my many collected lessons by grade level. I want each grade to have unique lessons so that I will not be repeating the next year. I already have boxes filled with activities from third grade with many of the materials I have been using. Many of them will be moved to different grade levels as I try to align with the grade level standards.

My plan is to write several blog posts as I work through my plans. I'm hoping these will be helpful if you are also trying to get started with incorporating STEM into your classroom. I also hope you will comment with your own tried-and-true ideas!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing opportunity! Congratulations! Sounds like a very fun job. I can't wait to see what you put together for all your students. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, am starting a new position as a STEAM teacher, grades 5-8. My background is mostly in third grade, but last year I taught Math and Science in 4th grade, so this is a completely new journey for me. I would love for you to share some of your favorite sites for STEM lessons if you don't mind, and if you have a list of the most used materials I'd like to get a peek at that as well. Wishing you great success on your new journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to keep posting about STEM, so stay tuned! Please share any great ideas you have a also :)

      Delete
  3. I am so excited about your new spot at the STEM teacher! I would love to have that spot at my school (if it existed!). I am, however, the new STEM club sponsor so I will definitely be following along.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover