Monday Made It, July 11th

 Three more weeks until I report back to work. Summer has been short this year - two weeks less than normal. I feel like I've gotten a lot done to prepare for my new job in the STEM lab. Binders of activities for each grade level are done. I have been working on a lesson plan format that will work for all classes. I'm beginning to look forward to getting into my new classroom, which probably has a massive pile of boxes in it right now!

This was our summer for working on things at home. New insulation, some leaky faucets fixed. leaks on the roof repaired. I also finally dug out the stumps of bushes I had cut down next to our house. I have been slowly putting in new plants. I'm going slow picking out the plants and then plan to put down decorative stones. Of course, as soon as I started we stopped having our regular afternoon rain! I did not expect to have to water them too :)

 



Back in 2012, I picked up some quilting fabric called "Deep in the Heart of Texas." My idea was to eventually make a quilt for my youngest son, who was born in Houston. This summer I finally got to it. I have the quilt top put together and plan to put on a border this week.



 I have been making videos and power points of some of my favorite STEM stories to use with lessons this year. After getting a really nice headset with a microphone I have recorded myself reading them so they are ready to go during the year. This is one of my favorites:



My next week's projects will hopefully include more planting, more quilting, and getting started on the many materials labels I need when I start setting up my classroom. Because of renovation projects, many teachers changing classrooms, and a larger than normal number of new teachers we don't have our classroom keys this summer. I'm expecting to get into my classroom the week of the 25th.

13 comments

  1. I must say, the best gift my son received was a quilt made by his great aunt. I truly understand the time and love that goes into making a quilt and I'm sure he will love it!- Beautiful!
    -Fairway to Fourth Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think quilts are a visible demonstration of love!

      Julie

      Delete
  2. I love the quilt - so pretty! I still have all the quilts given to me - so special to know they are handmade! Pam from PJ Jots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt! I'm sure he will cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt looks GREAT!! I also love the idea of recording books. What powerpoints do you make? Are they lessons or the book itself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made ppts and some live videos of the actual books.

      Julie

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of a quilt from where your child is born! All of my kids were born in Texas! One in Houston and two in Katy. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally relate with all the house projects! We've been trying to get our yard in order and boy, can it be a task! Your plant choice and pavers looks beautiful!! Good luck on heading back to school soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm kinda thinking you uploaded your audio book videos to YouTube, and made a QR code for your kids to use to listen... and now you'll share that with all your teacher friends out here, right?? Hope so! Thanks for post. Kathleen Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It would be great, but don't want the copyright police after me!

      Julie

      Delete
  8. Wow. That's amazing. How wonderful to make recordings for your students. Your quilting materials look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt looks amazing! Oh to have the patience to finish that!! I'm sure your son will love it!

    Bridget
    Sailing into Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is beautiful and such a keepsake! You know I love anything that has to do with gardens!!! Thank you for linking up:)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.