Fiction Friday Returns! (and so do I)

Back around the end of February, I decided to take the month of March off from blogging. It was my birthday, we had spring break, and testing was right around the corner. Somehow my one-month hiatus turned into the rest of the school year. However, when I saw that Amanda at The Teaching Thief was reviving Fiction Friday I decided it's time to come out of hibernation!

http://theteachingthief.blogspot.com/p/fiction-friday_6.html

When our new Sunshine State book lists released a few weeks ago I set out to read all 15 before the end of the school year and accomplished my goal. Full disclosure: I had read three books on the list last year :) Today I will share one of my favorites from this year's reading.


I fell in love with the heroine of this book within the first few pages. Gladys Gatsby is a gourmet cook who has been practicing her craft for the last four years. She is now eleven years old and cooking is a very important part of her life. Unfortunately, her parents are not exactly supportive. They are fast-food junkies and have no idea that when she is home alone Gladys is cooking up things like creme brulee!

The creme brulee turns out to be a disaster -- she starts a fire in the kitchen and her mom and dad find out she has been cooking. She is forbidden to use the kitchen and they take away her allowance (which she had been using to buy ingredients).

When Gladys accidentally receives an invitation to write a restaurant review for a big-time newspaper she concocts a scheme to get herself to New York City to go the restaurant. She has to fool her parents as well as the newspaper editor, involve some other students, and land her dream job.
I loved Gladys's commitment to her dream in this story. This is the first in a series with two additional titles available.

To check out the book on Amazon, just click the picture.

1 comment

  1. Hi Julie! Happy summer! I'm so glad you linked up to Fiction Friday. I can't wait to hear more about the Sunshine books. This book sounds fantastic. I'm adding it to my Amazon list. I love to cook so I can't wait to read Gladys story.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.