Friday, June 17, 2016

Fiction Friday 6/17/16



I'm sharing another of the 2016-2017 Sunshine State books today. This one is my very favorite of the 15 books. Fair warning though: it will break your "teacher heart."

Fish In A Tree
by
Linday Mullaly Hunt

(click to see in Amazon)

"Everybody is smart in different ways. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its life believing it is stupid."

Ally feels like a misfit in her school. It's been the same at every school. Because she is smart she has been able to hide the fact that she can't read.Her strategy is to distract and disrupt. She has never tried to address this problem since the only reason to not be reading at her age (sixth grade) is that she is dumb. 

Ally has a new teacher this year and Mr. Daniels sees something in her that others have not. She is amazingly creative and a gifted artist. She is also great at math. Why can't she read? (At this point I was talking out loud to the book and characters! Why has no one seen she has a learning disability?!)

Mr. Daniels reaches out to Ally and she agrees to accept his help. From her teacher she learns to cope with dyslexia.

This book is filled with great characters, including Ally's classmates (who are not all nice by any means!). 

I read this book last year and it may have been my favorite of 2015. It is one of those books that stay with you for a long time after reading. When I found out a few weeks ago that it made the Florida list I was thrilled and began recommending it to many colleagues.

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. I have GOT to read this book. It has been sitting in my TPR pile forever. I think it is time to move it up on the list. Thanks for the great recommendation and linking up as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my absolute favorite read aloud for 5th grade all last year! Highly recommend as it hits on so many big issues for kids.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover