Fiction Friday: September 11th


In honor of 9/11 I will start with one of my favorite books to share on this date. There's A Big Beautiful World Out There is a picture book by Nancy Carlson. In very child friendly terms it acknowledges many of the anxieties that children may have while also emphasizing overcoming those fears so as not to miss out on the many wonderful things the world offers. This book was written on September 12, 2001 in response to the attacks on our nation and each year I read it to my third graders before anything else on 9/11.


 I read the Newberry Honor book Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage during the summer and absolutely fell in love with main characters Mo and Dale as well as the quirky town of Tupelo Landing. This is the next book in the series, and I chose to listen to the audio during my work commute (I'm about 40 minutes from my school). I highly recommend this version, as the narrator of the two books does wonderful voices for the characters! Mo and Dale (the Desperado Detective Agency) solve another intriguing mystery in this story, this time involving an old inn and a ghost. These books are aimed at upper elementary/middle school readers and I am totally hooked. The next one comes out in October!

 I became a Riordan fan with the beginning of the Percy Jackson series (The Lightning Thief) and have been reading his books ever since. Somehow when the Heroes of Olympus series came out I got behind in my reading so I am now trying to catch up. I'd really like to finish up this series so I can check out the new one involving Norse mythology! As a kid I devoured everything I could find on Greek, Roman, and Norse mythology and still enjoy this genre (as well as Egyptian, which I don't thing I had discovered as a child).

What are you reading this week?


4 comments

  1. Hi Julie

    I wanted to check with you if you check your interest in hosting a giveaway but see no email through which I can send you more info. Can you email me at josesbc@gmail.com?

    Thanks
    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie

    I wanted to check with you if you check your interest in hosting a giveaway but see no email through which I can send you more info. Can you email me at josesbc@gmail.com?

    Thanks
    Joseph

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.