Friday, August 14, 2015

Fiction Friday: August 14th


This is my last Friday of vacation - Monday I am back for five days of pre-planning and Open House. I am still trying to finish up a few more books. I reset my 2015 reading challenge since I met it on June 30th - changed it from 200 to 300 - and I now have 242 books done this year. So many books on my to-be-read list that I think I should just stay home awhile longer and read!



If like me you read and LOVED El Deafo by CeCe Bell, this is nothing like it! That said, I loved this picture book about grammar. As you can see from the cover, the donkey makes his statement in front of a Yam. The Yam, of course, is the grammar police. They have quite the conversation, and the story has a twist -- or should I say twisted - ending. This would be so much fun as a read aloud, and I'm taking it with me today when I have lunch with my teaching partner (who teaches reading) - I think she will love it too.



I wanted to get in another Sunshine State book and this turned out to be a very quick read and a wonderful story. Frankie Joe has to go live with the father he doesn't know because his mother got sent to jail. He also did not know he has four younger brothers! Between dealing with all the family issues, being so behind in school that he gets moved back a grade, and wanting to go home to his mother Frankie Joe has a rough time while waiting for her release from jail. I found him a wonderful character and was rooting for his life to become better throughout the story.



I'm not going to recap this one, since Amanda already wrote about it here. I'll just tell you that I thought I had read all Lisa Graff's books until she reminded me in her blog post that I had never read Graff's debut novel. Read it, loved it, and then found out I still have one more Graff to go - The Life and Crimes of Bernetta Wallflower. Oh well, one more title for the TBR list!


Here is what I'm currently reading - another Sunshine State book. Couldn't quite get it finished for this week, but hoping to add it next week. Happy reading!






2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed The Thing About Georgie. Lisa Graff is amazing, isn't she? Just love her. I can't wait to read I Yam a Donkey. I mean... a yam as the grammar police! I have GOT to check that out. Thanks for linking up and sharing more great books! Have a great first week back next week. I head back too.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover