Monday, July 20, 2015

Monday Made It: July 20th

I've been working on so many things the last couple weeks, but very few made its! Mostly I've just been stalking everyone else and pinning your great ideas!


 I'm very excited about my first (home) made it! I put together this quilt top last summer, so this summer I needed to put the quilt together, quilt it, and sew on the binding. I was so excited to finish stitching on Thursday! This is mostly because this is the first quilt I made for myself :) - my others have all been gifts or charity projects. It also cleared the decks for a new quilt to be started, of course.


 I finished and posted a freebie that had been hanging around for awhile. This is a set of cards that have jokes on them. They will hang by my classroom door so I can grab them during transitions to give us the ultimate brain break - laughing!



Near the end of the past school year I decided I wanted to start doing unit plans rather than the weekly plans that most of my colleagues do. I got really excited about it and set up my long range plans for the whole year and then came up with my unit format. My goal this summer has been to completely fill in the first two unit plans (unit 1 is done), which will put me into mid-October for math plans. The last week of school the cart came around with the new math books for the upcoming year (we use GO Math) and I accepted the student workbooks but said I did not want the textbook. I want to cut that cord (it's not as if the textbooks really match up with our standards or curriculum map!). I don't know if I will make it through all 9 units I have to cover, but this week I got the first unit's resources all put together.


I gathered together the resources I need for the first 14 lessons of the year. I'm sure I will end up tweaking this quite a bit, but hopefully that will just involve opening up the binding to switch out some things. Anyway, I'm going to give it a try! Now I have to get to work on unit 2, which is a longer unit. One thing is for sure - I won't print at home like I did this one. I just wanted to have one book done to see how it all went together. 

4 comments:

  1. That quilt is beautiful! What a talent (and a great way to practice patience... maybe I should take that up) you have! Thanks for sharing!
    Kelli
    Tales of a Tenacious Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome quilt. I need to find one for my photo sessions. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Yes, I tried printing a large project at home and ran out of ink twice! Yikes! So then I sent my next one out...cost a bit...but I think it was less than the ink!
    Thanks for the post!
    Pam
    PJ Jots

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your projects!
    1) Love the colors of your quilt!
    2) Love the jokes-- what a great way to make your students love coming to school!
    3) Love that you got your units bound-- looks so professional!

    My Bright Blue House

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover