Friday, July 10, 2015

Fiction Friday: July 10th




Somehow in the midst of all my reading last week I totally forgot I never wrote my FF post! Perhaps I was too excited about reaching my 2015 goal of reading 200 books -- I made it on June 30th, so now I'm working on the next 200 :)





I read PIE by Sarah Weeks this week. It's one of our Florida SSYRA books for this year and I had seen some positive comments about it on the web. I used to make it a goal to read all 15 of the award books each summer but no longer. Now I read the ones that I'm really interested in because I have so much other reading I want to do in the summer. PIE caught my attention when I noticed it had recipes for the pies included. I have a couple adult series that I really enjoy that include recipes, so I was intrigued by reading a book with pie recipes (not that I bake pies very often - I'd rather read about baking than do it!).

PIE is the name of a bakery (serving only pies) in a small Pennsylvania town. It is operated by Alice's beloved Aunt Polly and her pies are the basis for the economy in the little town. She doesn't sell them - she gives them away for free - and people flock to this little town to see the award winning baker and have pie. When Aunt Polly dies, the secret to her world-famous pie crust goes with her. In her will, she leaves it to her disagreeable cat, Lardo, and leaves her cat to her niece Alice. The recipe is no where to be found, though there are those who are trying to find it. There is a great twist at the end, but I don't want to spoil it for you!



I stumbled across a picture book at the library last week and sat right down and read it while the kids were at a magic show there. Bats at the Ballgame by Brian Lies is baseball (one of my great loves) played by bats! Apparently there are other Bat books also, so I'm going to be looking for them when I'm back at the library.

The illustrations are a huge part of the story and are wonderful. It's a simple story of a young bat's first time at the ballgame and I think the author does a great job of creating the emotions of that experience. AND, it's told in rhyme! Just imagine the spectators in the stands . . .hanging upside down :)



I have become a huge fan of Sharon M. Draper after reading Out of my Mind and Copper Sun. When I saw that she had a new book out this year I put it on my TBR list and requested it from my library this summer. It did not disappoint! Eleven year old Stella lives in a small segregated southern town with her parents and brother. One night Stella and her brother see a meeting of the Klan, which terrifies them and disturbs all their friends and neighbors. Draper uses elements from her grandmother's journal to shape this story. Two things really stood out to me - Stella wants to become a better writer and there is a lot of detail about her efforts. Also, her father wants to register to vote -- if you have seen the movie Selma (I finally saw it this week on DVD) you will definitely connect the two stories. The story is well balanced in that while Stella and others face difficulties from many white people, they are also treated with great kindness by others

4 comments:

  1. I used to read the award nominees for Washington state. Now I read what I want. I am impressed that you read 200 books this year. I think I read about 100.
    Thank you for the book recommendations.
    Mary
    Artistry of Education

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, YOU are a reading rockstar! Congrats on reaching your 200 book goal! One of my students was raving about PIE at the end of the year last year. I am definitely going to have to add it to my ever growing TBR list. Stella by Starlight sounds fascinating too. Sharon Draper is amazing. Thanks for all your great recommendations and linking up. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I have a book coming out next week for hands-on math fun for 7-10 year olds. Would you consider doing a review? I can mail you a hardcover copy : ) kidsmathteacher@gmail.com
    Thanks!
    ~Lucy
    Kids Math Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to! I left a comment on your blog with my address.

      Julie

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover