Friday, June 19, 2015

Fiction Friday: June 19th



Back to celebrate children's literature with Amanda this week! What are you reading? I have wide-ranging interests in books, so this week I have finished a 500+ page adult novel, a couple YA books that have been on my TBR (to be read) list for awhile, and some fun picture books. I am one of those readers who likes to have anywhere from 3 - 5 books going at a time and thanks to Goodreads I keep track of where I am at all times! You can find me there as Julie Sawyer.



I had one of those times at the public library last week where I grabbed some picture books hoping to find a winner -- and I did! Rhinos Don't Eat Pancakes by Anna Kemp was displayed on a shelf-top at the library and I noticed the great cover -- who could resist a purple rhino laying on a couch?! I picked it up and saw that it said the author is a winner of the Roald Dahl Funny Prize and knew I had to read it. My teaching partner read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with our students this year and we had 36 Roald Dahl groupies!

Daisy is a little girl who gets quite frustrated because her busy parents never seem to listen to her. When she realizes a purple rhinoceros has taken up residence in her home she tries to tell them . . .to no avail! Fortunately, the rhino is friendly and becomes a great friend who listens and spends time with Daisy. He does love his pancakes, and finally Daisy's parents wonder what happened to all the pancakes. She tries to explain, but they don't believe her of course. An outing to the zoo suddenly brings the situation into focus, and all ends well! This is going to make a fantastic read-aloud for the next school year.



I have made it a point this year to read some graphic novels -- something that I had been kind of oblivious to in the past -- and El Deafo by CeCe Bell may be the best one I've read. This one is a 2015 Newberry Honor book and is based on the author's childhood. As a young child Cece lost her hearing and and in a very sweet, funny, heart-touching way she has turned her experiences into this wonderful story. It's a great tale of turning a weakness into a strength, finding lasting friendships, and how to embrace differences. I was surprised to find that CeCe Bell is married to another of my favorite authors, Tom Angleberger. There must be a lot of laughter in that home! This book is great for third grade and up.






In honor of today being Juneteenth (June 19th) I had to include this one! All Different Now: Juneteenth the First Day of Freedom by Anglea Johnson tells the story of the day that slaves in the south were finally free. African American Emancipation Day may not be a thing where you live; I first heard of it when I lived in Texas years ago. Along with the story told through the eyes of a child, this book contains a lot of factual information about Juneteenth, so buy or borrow a copy -- I really think you will love it. And BTW, the illustrations are paintings that are absolutely beautiful!

Here's what I'm reading right now:

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppet by Tom Angleberger

Galimoto by Karen Lynn Williams



Who knows, they may show in a FF post soon!



1 comment:

  1. El Deafo sounds like a great read! I am adding that to my list immediately as well as Rhinos Don't Eat Pancakes. That sounds like pure fun! I have never heard of All Different Now, but I am definitely going to check that one out too. You always have such great recommendations and I'm so impressed with the sheer volume of what you read. Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover