Math Lit: The Grouchy Ladybug


This book may already be on your radar for when you teach telling time, since both the hour and the day of the week is referenced throughout the story. Did you know it can be used for multiples of 10 also?



I've been a collector of Eric Carle's books for years, ever since I was a preschool teacher. As many times as I have read "The Grouchy Ladybug" I never noticed that the ladybugs have 10 spots! We read the book in our math meeting one day, and then came up with word problems about ladybugs to solve. We had already read another book when I introduced multiples of ten - I blogged about it here - so this book was a great follow-up.

I have been having students write their own word problems in their interactive math notebooks and using books as a hook has really helped them come up with good problems. Have you tried this?


No comments

Powered by Blogger.