Math Lit: Sir Cumference and the Off The Charts Dessert



I enjoy reading books by Cindy Neuschwander to my students. I've already written about Sir Cumference and all the King's Tens here; today I am sharing my newest book.


I recently used this book to introduce collecting and displaying data (3.MD.2.3). The story of a contest between two bakers to prove who has the best sweet treat provides the context for keeping track of the votes for each product. It is an engaging story which my students enjoyed. The story includes picture graphs, tally charts, pie charts, and bar graphs.

To help my kiddos learn about these ways to display their data I put together a simple page for them to complete as we read the book. They gathered on the rug for our math meeting with their pencils and clipboards. We filled in the page as we read, then they put it in their math notebooks. I'm sharing it with you today for use with this book. If you don't have the book yet, you can click the picture below to pick it up from Amazon.


To get your freebie, click this picture:



1 comment

  1. Moms Love Math is a tool to help parents understand their child’s math curriculum so they can assist with homework and build math confidence. Research shows that student success in math is correlated to their parents' level of confidence in math. Created by teachers for parents, Moms Love Math uses videos to teach parents the math concepts that are important their child's curriculum. Parents can preview the Moms Love Math videos before their child begins studying a topic, or they can use the videos as a guide when their children are stuck on a homework problem.

    Our videos are:
    Common Core aligned
    Based on real classroom curriculums
    Designed by teachers for parents

    We can be found at momslovemath.com.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.