Open House -- Meeting My New Students

In my school district teachers have a week back at work before school starts. On Wednesday high schools have Open House, Thursday is middle schools, and Friday is elementary (I assume they realize that we need the whole week to get our pretty on!). So yesterday from 3:00 - 6:00 I was in my classroom greeting families. One of the most fun things is the previous students who drop in to say hello and tell me who their new teacher is; I love it!

I had 19 students on my homeroom roster yesterday, and my partner had 18. 17 of my homeroom students and families came; a very good turnout. We have many homeless families, usually living in motels, at our school and some lack transportation so I never have 100%.

All my students got one of these for stopping in:

Some of them brought school supplies to leave for Monday, and they went home with the specific supply list for myself and my partner (our school supply list includes only the items that everyone on our grade level wants). 

I invited parents to sign up for text alerts with Remind, gave them information about our September confeences, and gave them one of these magnets with my contact information:


My basic goal is to introduce myself to my student and their family and give them the basic information that their child will have two teachers this year -- myself for math and science, Mrs. A. for reading, writing, and social studies.

I was fortunate enough to have a couple moms volunteer to take home a few math books and tear out the first chapter for me. It's always great to have parents willing to help out.

One student speaks only Arabic, which can be challenging. Fortunately I have at least one other student who speaks the language so if I have really important info to communicate she will help out! I had a student a couple years ago in the same situation, and it was amazing how quickly he learned conversational English.

Now I'm busy reviewing plans for Monday, as I know many of you are. Here's to a great year!

1 comment

  1. Sounds like a very successful Open House and the glow bracelets are adorable. Have a great school year!

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.