First Week in the Books!

Yes, I survived that totally exhausting time -- the first week of school! What a busy week we had, and I must say it went really well. I'll try to share a few highlights of the week.

For the first time ever, all 18 of my students came on the first day. Not a single no-show! I spent the morning with my 18 darlings organizing their supplies and going over rules and routines. They were pretty thrilled with the Whole Brain Teaching 5 rules, and they loved "class -yes!" Of course the day was so packed I never took pictures; that seems to happen every year. In the afternoon I got to know my other class of students (we are departmentalized). With both groups I introduced myself using this fun activity from Math Coach's Corner:

We read this story and talked about making mistakes:


On Tuesday we began our first science inquiry. I loved how both groups got so into how to test the question of keeping bananas fresh! 


Our first unit in math includes place value, so I introduced the topic with a favorite book:


During the week we tried to "Save Fred," with minimal success but lots of fun. We also tried out the STEM challenge to make the tallest tower with plastic cups.


I feel like I have been blessed with a really fun group of kids this year; can't wait to see what our second week holds (other than testing!).

And to put the cherry on top, I just found out my Donors Choose project for tablets was just fully funded -- woo-hoo!

2 comments

  1. I start on Tuesday with the kids and have many of the same activities planned with my math and science classes. Can't wait to get started! Hope week two goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on making it your first week back! Looks like you have a great year ahead of you! I just started reading the whole brain teaching book this week and am looking forward to trying out what I learn!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.