Monday, July 28, 2014

Monday Made It: July 28th


This week I felt like I got some things accomplished! I guess it's knowing that I only have two more weeks before reporting for work :) Thank you, Tara, for this fabulous linky; without it I would have much less done.





With just two weeks left until pre-planning I am thinking ahead to Open House (the Friday before school starts). Last year I decorated my classroom with balloons on the desks, and each student was invited to take one home with them. This year I decided to make pinwheels. I purchased lollipop sticks at Michaels (stronger than straws) and used some scrapbooking paper that I had on hand to make the pinwheels. I have pretty flower pots at school that these will go in. I only have one at home, since I decided I should make them at school and save myself the hassle of trying to transport them safely!


The last few years I have made bookmarks for my students for the first day of school. When I saw these freebies from Krista at Creative Clips I knew I wanted them for this year's group! I printed and laminated and cut them out - all ready to go. Click the picture to get them for yourself - the packet has bookmarks for Pre-K - 6th grade.





And for families I made these business cards. After printing them I laminated them, cut them out, and attached magnet tape to the back so they are ready to go on refrigerators (or whatever!). They have my email and our classroom website to help with communication.




I have been using the rules from Whole Brain Teaching for a couple years, and I liked the ones made by Laura Candler at Corkboard Connections much better than what I have on my wall. They are printed and ready to go up on my wall as soon as I make a trip to school -- maybe Monday.


I learned online how to make my own chalkboard paint, so I've been experimenting with it! All you do is add some non-sanded grout to paint (I bought some $.50 bottles of acrylics at Walmart). I've made two things so far - I put a label on my jar that has treats by using painters tape to block out a rectangle, and I painted a plastic container that my protein powder comes in. I have been saving them, knowing they will be useful for all kinds of things! I am definitely going to have fun with this!


4 comments:

  1. The pinwheels are adorable!! What a creative idea :) I also like the bookmarks. Thanks for sharing the link :) I think I'm going to print them out.... right now! haha

    Katie
    Dirty Hands & Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm moving to 3rd social studies and science this year from 1st. I need to get busy and print some things for the room. Thanks for the links to the bookmarks! The chalkboard paint looks terrific! Was it pretty easy to do? I also love the pinwheels!
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are ready for back to school! I had no idea you could make your own chalkboard paint. How cool!

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover