Fiction Friday: July 25th




So, another dystopian trilogy that lots of people seem to like. Guess I should check it out - after all, they made a movie. In fact, the movie was showing on my cruise but I avoided it since I had not read the book yet. From Amazon:

One choice can transform you. Beatrice Prior's society is divided into five factions—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). Beatrice must choose between staying with her Abnegation family and transferring factions. Her choice will shock her community and herself. But the newly christened Tris also has a secret, one she's determined to keep hidden, because in this world, what makes you different makes you dangerous.

I have to say, I wasn't loving it. It seemed like kind of a chore to read, but I didn't want to hit pause too soon. And then, the story hooked me in. I stopped reading my other books so I could finish this story. I think it is the character of Tris that grabbed me; she is such an interesting heroine. So, when I finished it I immediately downloaded the second book, Insurgent, which I have just now finished. I enjoyed that one too, now I have to see if Allegiant is available (I have been getting them from Overdrive through my library and reading on my iPad). NOTE: I just checked and had to put it on hold. Hopefully it will be available soon!



Meet Beatrice, a nine year old who has never made a mistake! That is the premise of this charming picture book by Gary Rubinstein. I read this book a couple years ago, and used it as a read aloud on the first day of school. It's a great story to spark discussion with your students about how to handle imperfection -- the reality that they will all make mistakes in your classroom! Apparently I forgot about it last year, 'cause I never read it. Probably because I have the Kindle version - it's easier to forget when you don't see a physical book! I was reminded of the story this summer, and it is going back on my first day plan. I really love the way Beatrice handles herself when she finally does make a mistake -- in a very public setting.


I came across Ten Times Better by Richard Michelson doing some professional reading for math. I had never seen the book, but decided to order it based on my reading. Unfortunately it is not available from Amazon, but I was able to get a used copy from one of their third party sellers. I'm so glad I went ahead and paid that shipping charge (I'm a bit spoiled with Prime!), because I really love this book and will be developing a product to go with it in the future!

This is a number book, but different from anything else in my library. It's all about multiplying by 10, using poems and illustrations of animals. For example, the THREE toed sloth loves the number three, but the centipede beats that with its thirty feet. The book covers the numbers one to ten, ending with 100 bees! I'm looking forward to using this book when we get into our multiplication unit this fall; I think my students are going to love it.

2 comments

  1. I have never seen ten times better! Definitely will be seeing if I can find a copy!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been so much more consistent than me this summer with Fiction Friday. Maybe next year we could co-host, lol?! I also loved Divergent. Once I was hooked, I just kept reading. The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes sounds like a great back to school read and I've never heard of it, so I'm adding it to my Amazon wishlist. I'm also spoiled with Prime. Once you go Prime, you never go back. Hehe. Please link up all your fabulous Fiction Friday posts on my Fiction Friday page anytime.

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.