Thursday, January 9, 2014

Math Lit: Tally O'Malley


As a math teacher I always think I should link up with Collaboration Cuties' mentor texts for math -- but never do! This week I had just posted about this little find, so it seems the perfect time to do it.




The O'Malley family is heading for the beach. To while away the time, the kids play tally games -- first they each pick a color of car and tally how many they see for 20 minutes. Later they tally t-shirt colors while waiting in line. This book is a great introduction to or review of tally marks.

To extend the story, try some tally games with your class. This could be at school, or how about a home assignment or on the trip to or from school?

Have you used this book with your class? What fun activities did you do with it?




4 comments:

  1. I don't have any tally mark math literature books. Thanks for sharing, this one is definitely getting added to my must buy list!

    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this series! I have never used this one--will have to check it out... Thanks so much for sharing!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book! I always used it to start my unit on data and graphing in third grade. It's really cute! Thanks so much for linking up!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Stuart Murphy books! I need to find this one :)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover