Friday, January 17, 2014

Five For Friday: January 17th



Whoo - Hoo! Teacher Workday! I love having a day in my room to not only finish up report cards but also to organize. I have been shocked this year (since I thought I was fairly well organized) at how many things I couldn't find when I went looking :(

So, with just four days this week we were pretty busy. It was our Literacy Week, so lots of extra things going on for that; I'll share three of those:


Favorite books were chosen! Each class voted for their favorite and it was posted on our Media Center door. My class chose Diary of a Wimpy Kid.






We had Book Character dress up day. Here are some of my kids; note the boys as Greg from Wimpy Kid! The girl in the black dress is holding her tablet -- she is reading Romeo and Juliet on it and dressed up as Juliet.






Guest readers from various walks of life came to read a book -- and our principal announced that it was pajama day for everyone! My guest reader was the head of the Media and Instructional Technology department. He shared "Knots on a Counting Rope" with the kids.





I got to spend this past Saturday at this wonderful event -- Share Fair came to Orlando this year.

 

I attended sessions on Flipped Classrooms, Prezi (Death to Powerpoint) and a Math and Science session from the New Jersey Center for Teaching and Learning. I consider a conference a success if I get something from each session that I can use right away in my classroom -- and this one was a success.




We have learned a lot about maps during second quarter, so for our culminating project I had students make a 3D map of their neighborhood. Here are a couple great ones that came in:





7 comments:

  1. I love Book Character Dress up Day! I am counting down until March for ours! Love that your little girl is taking on reading Romeo and Juliet!

    Jennifer
    Teaching with Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The power of free books on mobile devices!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! I only teach SS to my homeroom, and when my other students saw these some of them said they were going to beg their teacher to let them do this :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Julie! Found you through Doodle Bug's Linky! After reading about our guest readers, I think I need to do that!! It is something so simple yet very powerful for kids to see how other adults they know love reading!

    Kate :)
    McDee's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do this every year! Our literacy team recruits the guest readers. We have also done this where teachers just went into other classrooms to read also.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover