Tuesday was the first of three all - day workshops we will have this year. This first one focused on the Standards for Mathematical Practices. We spent a lot of time talking about talking! It was a pretty good supplement to a training I attended a couple weeks before school started on CC math.
My biggest takeaways were some new ideas to get kids thinking mathematically and explaining their reasoning. Here is the list of Talk Moves that we discussed:
- Revoicing (teacher repeating or restating what a student says)
- Repeating (having students repeat what another student says)
- Reasoning (what do you think about that?)
- Adding on (is there a different way to solve?)
- Waiting (giving think time - something a lot of us struggle with!)
We also received a free book. I'm looking forward to checking it out for some new ideas.
Have you done any training with Math Solutions? I hope you will leave a comment with your thoughts about them.