Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Techie Tuesday

I've been trying to find time lately to write about a couple of programs we are using in the classroom this year for math! This week I want to share some information about Education Galaxy.

 Education Galaxy


(click to go to website)

I first discovered the mobile app for Education Galaxy. At just $2.99 in the iTunes app store, I decided to give it a try. I only have one iPad, but I passed it around and let my students try it out. They loved it, and wanted to be the one to get to use the iPad every day! I found it a quick way to get data on their mastery of specific standards. They complete 10 questions each time, with their goal to score 80% or above.

The problem was that I could only register 25 students in school mode, and I teach two classes with a total of 36 students. If I just had this app I'd probably use it for the lower students as a quick way to gauge their progress. I tried this out, and would have them use the app after I had worked with them in small groups. They record their scores in their data folders and I can see who is "getting it" and who needs more help.

As I used the app, I began to have some problems with it. When I contacted the company I got a very quick response. Jeremy, the founder and CEO, responded personally and worked with me to gather information about what was happening so they could work on the issue. How often does that happen?! I did get the problem resolved, and Jeremy also offered me a classroom subscription for one year to the online site. This has been amazing! My students are doing so well with their individual study plans. As they complete sections they are recording data on their own and tracking their progress. 


(THANKS JEREMY!)

You can sign up for a free account which gives you 10 student accounts. If you have not seen this site, I highly recommend trying it out. I gave information about it to our math coach so she can check it out. I'm hoping she will advocate for a school license next year!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this app Julie. I just got an iPad for my room and am looking for ideas. I like learning from other teachers how they use just one iPad in the classroom. It's very helpful. My blog post today is about this also. :)

    Tammi
    The Balanced Classroom

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover