Friday, August 16, 2013

One Last Fiction Friday: August 16th

Thank you Amanda (The Teaching Thief) for the wonderful linky this summer! While I know last week was the last official link-up, as promised I have the last of the 2013 - 2014 Sunshine State Young Readers Awards books to share.

Glory Be

Glory Be

by
Augusta Scattergood


I just have to start with the author's name. Is it weird to think she's a Harry Potter character?! Actually, she is a former school librarian and this is her first novel.

Glory Be is set in a small southern town in the 1960's. You are probably already making inferences about the plot! Gloriana, or Glory as everyone calls her, is about to turn 12. She is looking forward to her traditional birthday party at the community pool, but hears rumors that it is going to close, ostensibly for repairs. There is nothing wrong with it, but some people in town would rather see the pool closed than have the "wrong sort of people" using it.

I'm planning to use this book as a read aloud in February for Black History month. I think it will engage my students and make them think.

As always, I have a brochure to share! I've really enjoyed creating them this summer, and I hope you will let me know if they are useful in your classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover