Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Number Bonds

On the first day of school I had a little addition assessment for my incoming 3rd graders. You know, basic facts that they supposedly mastered in 2nd grade :)

Only 1 out of 34 students had a clue. Sigh. This happens every year.

This summer I had already been thinking about this, and wanted to be proactive. One of the things I did was create a set of number bond cards for making tens. Every year I find that quite a few of the students have difficulty with these facts.


Now that we are into the second week of school we are beginning to put the pieces together in math; math rotations are beginning! I'm looking forward to using these first of all with my groups at teacher table. They will give me a quick view of who struggles with these. I have plans for more sets, but for now I want to see who really understands composing and decomposing the number 10.

I'm sharing my set of cards with you; perhaps like me you will have students who struggle with these facts. While I love my light green background, I realize that color printing is not an option for everyone. I made the set in both color and black and white. Please click the picture to download your own number bond cards; let me know how they work for you!


Picture of Free Teacher Downloads at Teaching Blog Addict

2 comments:

  1. These are great! I will be using them to teach and practice the facts for the next several weeks at least. I am always hopeful that my second graders that forget the math facts over the summer, will have them again quickly with a little review in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have middle school special education students who don't know the facts to ten.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover