Thursday, August 29, 2013

Math Lit: The Doorbell Rang


The Doorbell Rang
by
Pat Hutchins

I've blogged about this one before, but it's such a great book I'm doing a repeat! The Doorbell Rang is an awesome book to introduce the concept of equal shares. I use it every year when we are in our multiplication unit and looking forward to division. Actually, I used to use it when I taught Kindergarten, too. Equal shares is something students understand and relate to their own lives.

I like to have students act out the story as we read it, so I bring in some cookies for us to divide (and extras so that at the end everyone can get one). Those cookies really get the students engaged :)

There are quite a few characters in the story, so the majority of the class can be actively involved. I pass out cards with pictures and names for each character, and they join in when their character is introduced. I created a whole packet to go along with the story awhile back, and last year's group really enjoyed using it. It's still a freebie, so feel free to click below and download it.


You can pick up the book at Amazon for a reasonable price (it makes a great "reach free shipping" item!).



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover