Thursday, August 22, 2013

Math Lit: Betcha!

Now that we are back to school, I've tried to plan out some blog posts. I decided to try to do a series of Math Lit posts on Thursdays for awhile. I hope you will check in on this weekly. While I'm not currently planning a Linky, feel free to put links in the comments to your own math lit ideas!




BETCHA! is a book about estimation. In the story, two friends are on their way to enter a contest involving estimating the number of jellybeans in a jar. Along the way there are many opportunities to determine the number of things they see. One of the friends does it by counting by ones, the other has strategies for estimating.

In my class, estimating comes up in our first week of math lessons. This book is how I am introducing the concept and activating prior knowledge. I developed a little activity to go with the book and have it available for my readers. If you need a copy of this book by Stuart Murphy, you can get it through Amazon.



Click the picture below to download the BETCHA! activity.




3 comments:

  1. I love these books and look forward to your series on books to use for math. Thanks for the great freebie too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this! I will have to try it out! There are not a lot of estimating books out there

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover