Monday, August 19, 2013

First Day of School

Our first day is in the books! Sixteen students (one didn't make it today), one teacher, and I'm pretty sure we all went home very tired. I was hoping my 18th student would have enrolled by today, but I don't doubt he or she will be here soon.

Here's what our schedule looks like:
  • 9:00 - 9:45      Science
  • 9:50 - 10:40    Block
  • 10:45 - 12:15  Math
  • 12:20 - 12:50  Lunch
  • 12:55 - 2:15    Math
  • 2:15 - 3:00      Science
  • 3:00 - 3:30      Enrichment
Today, of course, a lot of our day was spent on rules and routines. I created a Smart Notebook file with lots of pictures to help us out with this part of our day. I included getting started with Whole Brain Teaching routines (they loved Class? Yes!).

My teaching partner and I decided to keep our homeroom classes with us through the morning (we normally switch and then have our homerooms in the afternoon). That way we could spend that time before block getting our supplies organized. I used every bit of my 45 minutes and still wasn't done!

I have a class of great kids; definitely a few talkers, and a couple had trouble with following directions, but it's going to be a great year. My partner's class was a little quieter; I had 17 of her 18 there today. The little girl who wasn't there was also not at Open House last Friday, so maybe she won't be coming. My students ALL came for Open House. I believe that is the first time I had 100% attendance!

Had to do a mini math lesson (hard to fit it in, we were so busy all day). Part of it was giving them two minutes to complete a little addition table. They couldn't do it! In fact, they were far worse at it then I expected. Makes for a great baseline for them, as I'll be asking them to compete again in about a week. It segued into talking about number patterns; when they looked at the addition table and found the patterns many of them wanted to take the little assessment again! They were sure they could improve a lot :) They will have their chance next week.

Tuesday we have to start operating on our regular routine; hopefully we got enough of our foundation in today to make that work well.

I know some of you started back today also; looking forward to reading about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover