Fiction Friday: August 2nd

All summer I have been sharing the Sunshine State Young Reader Awards list for grades 3 - 5. For each book I've read, I created a small brochure for my students with just four questions about the text. As I've mentioned each book, I've shared the brochure I created. I hope that those are going to be helpful for some of you as you use some of the books in your own classroom.

Today I wanted to show all the books on the list. I have currently read 14 of the 15 books; one book has not yet been acquired by my library system. I'm thinking about getting the kindle version so I can finish; unfortunately it's over $9! I may just wait to get back to school and hope we have it in our media center!

These books are what I choose my longer read - alouds from each year. They are also the books for the "Battle of the Books" competition. Third graders are seldom on the team, but I often encourage one or two students at the end of the year to read the new list in the summer and try out for the team. One of my students was interested; I'm looking forward to seeing her in a couple weeks and finding out if she followed through on doing the reading.

Thanks to Amanda and her marvelous linky, I have just two more SSYRA books to share! (I'm hoping someone else has read Glory Be and will post; it sounds like a great one!) BTW, this is not the only reading I do; there just isn't time to post about anything else :)

The Wish Stealers

by
Tracey Trivas

(click to download)

The Wish Stealers wins my award for the best character name! Griffin Penshine is about to start middle school when an old lady gives her a box of "lucky pennies." A note explains that they represent stolen wishes. Wishes are important to Griffin; she makes them regularly, and believes they will come true. Unfortunately, being in possession of the box means that she is now the wish stealer! This is the story of how Griffin tries to overcome this curse!

Janitors

by
Tyler Whitesides 

(click for brochure)

I love the amazon.com blurb for this one: Have you ever fallen asleep during math class? Are you easily distracted while listening to your English teacher? Do you find yourself completely uninterested in geography? Well, it may not be your fault. The janitors at Welcher Elementary know a secret, and it's draining all the smarts out of the kids. Twelve-year-old Spencer Zumbro, with the help of his classmate Daisy Gullible Gates, must fight with and against a secret, janitorial society that wields wizard-like powers. Who can Spencer and Daisy trust and how will they protect their school and possibly the world? Janitors is book 1 in a new children s fantasy series by debut novelist Tyler Whitesides. You'll never look at a mop the same way again.

Like Floors, this one is a wild read! Students will most likely be highly engaged by a story with janitors as the heroes; or are they the villains ! Probably a bit too long for a read-aloud for my class, but one I'd recommend if I have some above-level readers this year. 

That's it for my SSYRA brochures! Once I get my hands on that final book I will create one more and post it.

One final note - I have a giveaway going on right now. Click here to enter.



Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

4 comments

  1. Thanks again so much for the brochures! I have big plans for them in my classroom this year. I wanted to let you know that the Wish Stealers brochure is actually another Janitors brochure. If you get a chance to make the change I would LOVE the freebie download.

    :) Nicole
    Tadpole Tidbits
    www.mrscorbitt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great book! Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat idea. We have something like what you wrote about here...they are called the Red Maple awards. I never thought of reading the books and making up a brochure. Awesome idea! Maybe I'll do that this year when the books come out. Hope you have a great day. Are you back to school yet? I don't go back for another month!
    Sidney
    Teachingisagift

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy! Both of these books sounds terrific! I'm hoping they make our battle list next year. I have added both to my Amazon wishlist. Thanks for linking up. I LOVE learning about all these new books!!!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.