Book Talk and Fiction Friday: July 12

  

Touch Blue

by 
Cynthia Lord

Touch Blue

Tess and her family live on a small island of the coast of Maine. Their school has so few students that it may be closed by the state, which would mean that the family will move to the mainland. Eleven year old Tess is devastated at the thought of leaving their home and the life of lobster-fishing that she loves. 

The islanders come up with a rather unique idea to save their school. If they could have enough families take in foster children the student population would increase enough to keep the school open. Tess and her family do their part by taking in Aaron, a 13 year old boy who has been in several foster homes in his young life. 

"Touch blue and your wish will come true" is just one of many sayings that the superstitious Tess believes. Her attitude is "why take chances?" when there are so many ways to bring the luck that will make everything work out!

When Aaron, a very talented trumpet player, arrives on the island not everything goes smoothly. He resents the fact that he was taken from his (alcoholic) mother at a young age. Tess had been expecting Anne of Green Gables! Both Tess and Aaron have to learn how to get along and what it means to be part of a family and a community. This is a very sweet and touching book, with a nice ending that is realistic -- not everything wrapped up in a nice neat package. As a read - aloud, I will want to get to know my students first to see if it's appropriate subject matter. You can download my usual SSYRA brochure here for this book.




The Candymakers

by
Wendy Mass


The Candymakers tells the stories of four children who are selected to enter a candy contest to create a new candy that will be manufactured and sold by one of the candy companies. Logan, Miles, Daisy and Phillip all have secrets, and there are secret connections between them that begin to unravel as the story develops. I found the story very difficult to get into, but when the book began to change perspective and tell the story of each character it became easier for me. One of my biggest quibbles with the book is that it is another book which seems to try to do a "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" type story (The Gollywhopper Games is another example of that). Yes, it's a different take on the story, but Charlie is a classic that can't be touched in my opinion.

This is a very lengthy book, and is a 5th grade level reader, so it won't be a read-aloud for me in third grade. I do think a lot of older students will really enjoy it, and of course I have a brochure if you would like to use it in the classroom. You can download it here.







4 comments

  1. Touch Blue is on my list of reads before I head back to school. So glad you shared....I'm going to have to move it up in the pile to be sure I get to it.
    ♬Kay
    On the Trail of Learning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touch Blue sounds wonderful-but I absolutely agree that it could be a little too deep for all students. I'm looping so I know most of my kids but I'm not sure if it will make the read aloud list but I'm definitely going to read it!

    :) Nicole
    Tadpole Tidbits
    www.mrscorbitt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie! Candymakers has not been a hit with teachers this summer, but it is on so many reading lists. Hmm...I wonder what the draw is? Touch Blue sounds wonderful. I love Cynthia Lord. Rules is one of my absolute favorites. Maybe I should download to my Kindle for that one. Doesn't sound like a 4th grade independent read, huh? As always, thanks for linking up and sharing your great brochures.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up this week. Just requested Touch Blue from the library. Since my husband is a social worker, he would love this book! I am going to read it and then hand it over to him to read. Thanks so much!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.