Monday Made It: June 24th


Monday - the best day of the week 'cause it's time for Monday Made It with Tara at 4th Grade Frolics! The past week has been fairly productive for my as far as making classroom stuff, even though I spent two days working on proficiency scales with other teachers in my district.

1. Rekenreks!



The directions for these came from Math Coach's Corner (and if you aren't following her, do it NOW!). I made 24 of these babies, so I can use them in whole group or small groups. Click here to get a downloadable booklet about ways to use these.

2. Storage!



I love to re-purpose my recyclables to use in my classroom. This was a protein powder canister that I tossed into my recycling bin and then immediately pulled back out. I realized that it was perfect for storing the bulletin board borders that I took down at the end of the year. I wanted to save my animal prints to use again in the future, so I used some of my animal print duck tape from the old "Wild About Learning" theme to dress it up.

3. Desk Calendar Holder


This is my Pinterest - inspired calendar holder that I made last year (you can read that post here). I loved it! I brought home after school and put new duck tape on it to use for this year's calendar, and voila! I'm watching for some cute embellishments to go on the elastic.



4. CCSS 

After writing 3rd grade proficiency scales this week, I came home and worked on "I Can" statements  to go with the priority standards (in blue) and supporting standards (in yellow), did lots of printing and laminating, and they are ready to go up in my room.




Didn't get my home projects finished in time this week, but should have something done by next Monday!

12 comments

  1. Rekenreks? I have never heard of that and need to check it out! Your "I Can" statements are so cute!!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike! I also made the rekenreks from Donna's blog post. I totally agree with you, she has some terrific ideas on her site. I don't know if they have Hobby Lobby where you live, but I have seen patterned elastic there. I've never used a desk calendar, I may have to try one this year. I'm your newest follower.

    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a great app here that goes along with the rekenreks as well

      http://catalog.mathlearningcenter.org/apps/number-rack

      The Math Maniac

      Delete
  3. Your rekenreks turned out great! Thanks for sharing...

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duct tape works wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

    Emily
    I Love My Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I teach third grade as well and made I Can statements for my classroom as well...what a task! Although yours are MUCH cuter! Thanks for sharing!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you were productive! Doesn't it feel good to start Monday off with so much accomplished? :)

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not know what rekenreks are so I guess I have some blog reading catching up to do! Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Repurposing feels so good! It's amazing the uses you can find for things! Can't wait. To see what you make next Monday.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rekenreks look great! That is the simplest way to make them. If you find yourself becoming a rekenrek convert, you should also think about making 100 bead strings. I use them almost everyday in K-3 math, especially for kids who need extra support. They are an awesome extension from a rekenrek. I have a really great post started about all the ways I use them, but haven't had the motivation to finish it yet. They are 100 beads alternating 10 of one color and 10 of another. They make them commercially but for about 20 bucks and a trip to the craft store you can make an entire class set.


    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please . . . finish that post! Can't wait to read about them. This will be my first year to have rekenreks and I'm hoping they will help some of those kiddos who are still developing the 1st and second grade skills.

      Julie
      Math is Elementary

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.