Thursday, June 13, 2013

Fiction Friday: June 14th

                 


The Fiction Friday linky at The Teaching Thief was one of my favorite things to do last summer. I'm happy to be back again! I'll be sharing some of our new Sunshine State Young Reader Awards books. These are from the grades 3 - 5 list for the 2013 - 2014 school year. I got a huge jump on them the last few weeks of school and have already read 8 of the 15 titles. This week I'm going to start with my favorite so far. I am already planning to use this as my first read aloud of the school year. I'm also linking this up with Andrea at Reading Toward the Stars as part of Book Talk Thursday!


The Year of the Book
by
Andrea Cheng

The main character in The Year of the Book is Anna. She is American Born Chinese, as is her father. Neither of them speaks Chinese, but Anna's mother is from China and it's important to her that her daughter learns about her culture. Anna resents having to attend Chinese school on the weekend and doesn't understand what the teacher is saying.

Given a choice, Anna will spend most of her time deep in a book. (A great text - to - self connection for me with this book is that I, too, spent all my time reading as a child.) Reading is often easier than engaging with other students. Anna is embarrassed by her mother's poor English and the fact that she cleans other people's homes.

As I've been reading from this year's book list, I've noticed that several of the books have a common theme -- friendship. In The Year of the Book, Anna has a friend who seems to be spending all her time with one of the "mean girls." Feeling awkward about that, she turns more to her books. She learns many lessons throughout the story. It turns out she is not the only one facing challenges in  her life.

I just downloaded the Kindle version of this book for just $2.99 so that I could be sure to have it on my iPad when school starts.

As I finish each book I am creating a brochure with four questions. You can download it for free by clicking the picture. Please let me know what you think.




Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking up! This sounds like a great book with a great message! I will definitely be checking it out!!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice book choice. A lot of social issues that kids face, so I could see doing this with some of the kids I work with. I'll have to check out Amazon today they have sooo many great book deals.

    thanks
    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks like a great one! I will be adding it to my list--long list... :0) It reminds me of a wonderful book I read aloud called The Year of the Dog by Grace Lin--another wonderful book. Just found your blog through the linky and am a new follower. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of Grace Lin's book too, as soon as I started reading this one!

      Julie
      Math is Elementary

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness I can't believe you have already read eight of the SSYRA books. Good for you! I have only read two and am a little bit into the third. I can't wait to hear your take on all of the books.

    :) Nicole
    Tadpole Tidbits
    www.mrscorbitt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I was amazed to be able to get them so quickly from the county library -- usually I wait a long time! I started requesting them as soon as the new list came out and they started coming right away -- I had to scramble to get them read!

      Julie
      Math is Elementary

      Delete
  5. PS I love the brochure, thanks so much for sharing!!!

    :) Nicole
    Tadpole Tidbits
    www.mrscorbitt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up Julie! This is a new book for me and one of the reasons I love Fiction Friday so much. Sounds like a great read!

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover