Reviewing: Day Two

Today's focus was on multiplication. Once again I divided the class into three groups and had them rotate through three activities. The computer station was Timez Attack, which is a huge favorite. If you are not familiar with it, please check it out. It's free, and can also be downloaded at home. Students love it because it's like a video game. It is a site to use when students are working on fact fluency.
Timez Attack Logo

At the teacher station today I decided to review Distributive Property. My students struggle with this so much, so I return to it throughout the year. I used another great product from Math Coach's Corner (I just love that blog!).  Click the picture to read Donna's post and get the freebie.

I had the students work with a partner on this. I gave each team two playing cards and chose one of the partners to make an array for the multiplication fact. Since they understand that fairly well, I chose the weaker partner for this part. After successfully completing that side of the sheet, the other partner split the array and wrote the other equation. Most of them still need a lot of coaching on that, so it was a great teacher station activity.

For the work station I pulled out a huge favorite: multiplication bump! No matter how many times they play this my kids are crazy about it. My go-to source is Denise at Sunny Days in Second Grade. She creates games for different seasons and somehow the kids seem to think it's a brand new game! Visit her blog and click on the "Freebies" tab to check out some of those games. Today we used Beach Bump.

I also used a brand new spring game from Dana at 3rd Grade Gridiron. I can't show you this one, because it was a freebie in her newsletter this month. If you haven't subscribed yet, go over and do that so you don't miss these great products.

Check back tomorrow for Day Three!

2 comments

  1. Hi Julie
    I am loving your posts about reviewing for assessments. I love how you have structured your math time so that you can do small group instruction at the teacher station. Donna at the Math Coach's Corner was just talking about how important having time built in for small group instruction is and I find it a vital part of my math curriculum and my day. Thanks

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to move towards doing more of my instruction in my small groups rather than whole group. This review week is a great way to try out some ideas.

    Julie
    Math is Elementary

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.