Friday, April 12, 2013

Day Five: Reviewing is done, bring on the test!

I sent them off today at 3:25 with admonitions to get a good night's sleep, eat a healthy breakfast, and relax -- they are definitely prepared! As usual, they are nervous about this first time taking the test that looms over the whole year. But you know what? Most of them will do just fine. If it wasn't for that state law that says a level 1 score on the reading test is mandatory retention in grade 3 we wouldn't be particularly concerned!

We had spring pictures today, so our time was short. I decided to just make a game of doing a little bit of elapsed time review. One of the products in my TpT store was perfect for this.


I pulled out the problem cards from the game and used them under the document camera. They worked the problem in their journals (with lots of coaching to use an open number line) and had to justify their answer to the class. It made for a great little review. A highlight of the morning was one of my students having the solution to a problem in about 5 seconds. The other kids were blown away; not only were they slower, but this young man told them the answer and how he got it (mental math). They applauded! You see, he is from Saudi Arabia. He came a few months ago speaking one word of English: bathroom! He still speaks only a little English, but he has a good understanding of mathematical concepts.

ET Goes Home is one of my paid items, however the first three readers to leave a comment with email will receive a free copy!

10 comments:

  1. This looks like a great addition to my elapsed time lesson!

    How cool that he was able to explain his thinking and get the answer so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really great! This is always so hard for my kids.
    Julie

    julie_ann_@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I got it, do you need a different email?

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry! I tried again - hope it goes through this time.

      Julie

      Delete
  3. This looks like a great game! Applauding for a classmate...what wonderful students you have! mceneeme(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have good hearts :) I'm sending you the ET game right now.

      Julie

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sending...I did not see it in my email (and I even checked the spam folder!) Could you please try to send it again? The email address above is correct. Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Sending again . . . hopefully it works this time!

      Julie

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover