Sunday, January 13, 2013

How To Avoid Eating the Leftover Candy!



Classroom Freebies Manic Monday


The idea for this activity came to me right after Christmas, when I realized I had two of these in my cupboard:


My first thought was "how on earth will I keep from eating these!?!" My second thought was "fractions!" Our math coach is planning a math night in January and we had a conversation about using these for various math activities. In my mind I saw . . . 



The little bags came from the craft department at Walmart. I wanted something that would display the candy without students actually touching them. Of course, this idea can easily be adapted to almost any objects that will represent the fractions. I made bags for the fractions with the denominators 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

I then created recording pages for students to represent the fractions by coloring in the circles. We made a poster board size chart to glue the individual boxes to under the fraction labels (sorry, I should have taken a picture!). You can get a copy of my recording pages by clicking the picture below.
I'd love to hear how you adapt this for your class! Enjoy.






4 comments:

  1. Love this! I'm featuring this post on Bagels and Blogs later today. :)

    Donna
    Math Coach’s Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am your 200th follower, what an honor! :) I love this idea and I will definitely bring it into my classroom. The little baggies are genius!

    Caralee
    Confessions of a Teachanista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who wouldn't love using M & M's to learn fractions? YUM!

    Thanks for the idea!

    Carolyn
    NurturingNoggins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover