Data Folders

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday


This summer I decided to add a new folder to my students' collections -- a Data Folder. Having never used these before, I decided I'd just figure it out as I go along! We've just finished our third week of school, and it's time. In math class we have completed our Prerequisite Test, so I have a pretty good idea of who mastered 2nd grade math skills. On Friday we had our first chapter test (as always happens, they bombed it!), and we are in the process of completing a formative test on all of 3rd grade math which provides me with the baseline data I need so that I can track their progress throughout the year.

I decided that I would create a graph for them to keep track of their results on our chapter tests. I also wanted to include a reflection piece to encourage them to think about what worked and what didn't work. For example, on this first test many of them never wrote down and worked a math problem. This is in spite of my telling them over and over that they would have to do that or fail the test! The reality is that my 3rd graders can not do 5 and 6 digit addition and subtraction problems in their heads. I want to be sure they recognize what caused them to do so poorly on the test, and writing it down in their data folder is one step.


Since our Math Big Idea 1 is covered in the first 6 chapters of our curriculum text, my first graph goes with those chapters. I'm making it available as a Word doc so you can adapt it to your needs (click the picture to download).

You can also download the reflections page (pdf) by clicking above. Enjoy!

1 comment

  1. Tracking data is so important. Thanks for making it a little easier!

    Ѽ Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.