Saturday Science: August 11

This week another fun experiment! The question I present to students:

Is it true that taco sauce will clean a dirty penny?

The internet says it will, and if it's on the internet it must be true :) After getting the kids' predictions, we will use the hypothesis that taco sauce will clean the penny. I'll model the experiment (this works nicely under the document camera). Here is a video of what happens:


 This is a great activity to teach students that the scientific model just keeps on going; after an experiment scientists will have more questions and the process starts again.

The question the students will investigate is:

What ingredient in the taco sauce cleans the pennies?

This time students will be recording the steps of the scientific method on p.11 of their interactive notebook and recording their observations on the form I made for them to glue onto p.10. I place my notebook under the document camera and model the written part. Here is what it looks like:

To download the Penny Experiment forms, please click on the picture.

By the time we finish this unit, which takes the first three weeks of school, the majority of my students will be ready to record information without the pre-made forms. Usually they will do that on the even numbered pages and we will place foldables and such on the odd numbered pages.

2 comments

  1. Love this idea,You should link it up with my WoW Science linky.

    http://ilive2learnilove2grow.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-wow-science-linky-hosting-my-first.html

    ilive2learnilove2grow 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea taco sauce would clean a penny. Huh?!? Fascinating. My students will love this activity this year. Thanks for the freebie.

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.