Pencil Sharpeners Make Me Crazy

We have been in school for nine days, and the pencil sharpeners are getting on my nerves! My kids have little individual sharpeners and can't seem to grasp the idea that I don't want them sitting there sharpening pencils all through a lesson. I tell them every day to sharpen pencils before announcements since they move to my partner's room for language arts and reading right afterward.

Then we have the wonderful sound of the electric sharpener. And of course, complaints that "my pencil isn't getting sharp." What's a teacher to do?!

A couple weeks before school started, Troy at Classroom Friendly Supplies sent me one of these sharpeners that bloggers have been writing about to try out and review (mine is the blue one). I was looking forward to trying it out, so I took it to school when we went back for pre-planning. The first day back was mostly meetings, but I did get a few minutes in the classroom and grabbed some pencils to try out my new sharpener. I've got to admit it took me a few minutes to figure out how it worked -- of course I didn't bother to watch the video here first!

I was amazed at how sharp those pencils were! I love having a sharp point on my pencils; this sharpener makes me want to use pencils. This was so awesome, I figured that the 2nd day of work I'd sharpen like crazy and be all ready for the first day of school. Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans :) Instead I fell off a chair and broke my arm. This leads me to the one problem with this pencil sharpener -- you can't operate it with a broken arm! We are wrapping up our second week of school now, and this week I have been teaching kids how to use it. They are loving it; like me they love those sharp points. Over the next few days hopefully everyone will learn how to use it without my constant supervision (I started out with my kids who are in the classroom for a little while after school).

I definitely recommend this sharpener, and I definitely do not recommend breaking your arm right before school starts!

1 comment

  1. Ouch! I'm so sorry to hear about your arm. I love my sharpener and I rarely get to use it because my students are fighting over it! Hope you heal soon!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.