Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Trouble With Chickens





When I discovered The Teaching Thief blog I knew I'd want to link up with her Fiction Friday series. One of my summer "to-do" projects each year is to read the SSYRA list (our state's reading motivation program for grades 3-8). So far I have read 10 of the 15 books on the grades 3 - 5 list. Each year I draw from this list for my classroom read-alouds. This year I have several that I absolutely love and will definitely want to read with my kids. The first one I plan to read is "The Trouble With Chickens" by Doreen Cronin. You may recognize her as the author of the wonderful Click, Clack, Moo books.



This book is laugh out loud funny and will be a great beginning of the year read for my class. The hero of the story is J.J. Tully, a former search and rescue dog. Now retired, he takes on a case involving some missing chicks. There are some great twists before the satisfactory conclusion. The fact that the book is written as a noir-style detective story makes it for me as much fun to read as it will be for the students to hear it!

Because I have to connect read-alouds to curriculum (no more we read for pleasure, I guess!), I have created simple booklets to go along with my planned read-alouds this year. I'm going to share this one with you, and I hope you will find it useful if you read this book in your classroom. It is four pages and I copy it 2-sided, fold in half, and put one section inside the other. Just click here to get your copy. Enjoy!



Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the freebie!

    Your newest follower,
    Stephany
    primarypossibilities.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Thank you so much for this. Ive been teaching 7 years, but this is my first year in reading and I need something to interest some of my average readers during our rti time. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading this with my son right now. This is great! This book is one of the VA Readers' Choice books, and this would be great for the teachers to use in the classrooms as they read the book to students. I will use it in my small groups for sure!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover