Sophie Simon Solves Them All


Linking up again with the Fiction Friday series from The Teaching Thief. One of my summer "to-do" projects each year is to read the SSYRA list (our state's reading motivation program for grades 3-8). So far I have read 13 of the 15 books on the grades 3 - 5 list. This week the spotlight turns to Sophie Simon Solves Them All by Lisa Graff.



Sophie is a third grader, and a genius. Her parents worry about her and want her to be "normal," while she just wants to teach herself calculus!  Sophie doesn't see any value in being friends with her peers, but eventually realizes they have parent problems just like her. She works out a plan to solve the problems and thrills her parents by making new friends (just like normal kids!).

Right now this book is only available in hardcover, but the paperback version will be out in mid-September. I purchase only a few of the SSYRA books each year, and this one is definitely one of the keepers!

As I identify the books that I'll use in the classroom this year I have been creating booklets to go along with the read aloud. They are 4 pages and I copy them 2-sided to put together. You can click here to get my booklet for Sophie Simon Solves Them All. Enjoy!

8 comments

  1. 13!?!?! You are so good! I've got two under my belt so far, lol. I save a few for read alouds throughout the year but we have a competition between the students and teachers. The students who can read all 15 before the first teacher to finish them gets a big pizza party. Do you like the selection so far this year? Thanks for the freebie!

    Sabra
    Teaching with a Touch of Twang

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like most of the books a lot. Didn't care much for The Shadows, but most are very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, good for you for attacking so many of the SSYRA's! I have only read six but I have three more sitting on my desk waiting to be read. Thanks so much for the Freebie to accompany Sophie Solves them All! I can't wait to use it next year. I am your newest follower! If you get a chance check out my blog, although this week there have been no posts because my hubby has been on vacation and I have been spending time with him.

    :) Nicole
    Tadpole Tidbits
    www.mrscorbitt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I just followed your blog.

      Delete
  4. I've given your blog an award! Stop by and check it out!

    fourth grade fanatics

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to check out this list!

    ~April
    The Idea Backpack
    ideabackpack@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks super cute. Love your blog! I'm your newest follower.:)
    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everyone... I can't believe you have already cruised through 13 books?!? Amazing. Adding this one to my Amazon wish list. Thanks for linking up!!

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.