Saturday, July 21, 2012

Saturday Science!




Freebie Fridays

Linking up today with Freebie Friday. Hope you like my Science Notebook freebies!






I'm kicking off a new feature today -- my Saturday Science blog posts. I teach both math and science to my two 3rd grade classes and science is definitely the tougher class. Not because I don't enjoy teaching science, but it's the class that always seems to take a hit whenever something else needs to go into the daily schedule. You know, little things like recess a couple times a week, trips to the media center, speech therapy for those who need it . . .  Yep, science just doesn't have that mandate that reading and math do so it's the flex time!


I ended the year in June thinking that I must get better organized for the coming year. I had tried something new -- Interactive Notebooks -- and I loved it. As the year went on, it was hard to take time to plan for how to best use them, though.  I decided that this summer I need to get a jump start, so I decided to do a mock-up that would include things I hope to include. My idea is that will keep me on track. We explore what scientists do, use steps of scientific inquiry, get familiar with science tools (I love this part, because our measurement unit comes late in the year in math class and this gets us started early), and do a lot of hands-on activities.


In my Saturday posts I'm going to share our notebooks with you, along with some of the things I create to go into them. As you can see from the picture, each student has a spiral notebook, 70 sheets, wide ruled. We work at numbering - it's a huge challenge for many students - with odd numbers on the right. I leave page 1 and 2 for a table of contents and we start on page 3 with the title of the unit. This year I decided to make a title page for them to glue; it includes the essential questions for the unit. I'm not sharing that page with you, since it is obviously specific to our science curriculum.
Title Page
Since we will jumping right into inquiry, it's important to go over safety rules right away. Again, I created a safety rule page to glue -- it's going on page 4. You can get that sheet by clicking the picture below.

Of course, we need to put the inquiry steps into our notebooks. This year I'm excited to really jazz this up with a wonderful blogstalking find. I love this little scientist guy, and since I know it would take too much time for the kids to make him I'm going to get 36 made before we go back to school. This is going on page 5 with the steps written inside the lab coat by the students. The arms and legs just fold onto the body so it fits in the notebook. Unfortunately, I found that I didn't save the blog post where I found the directions. Can you help? If you know where they are, please let me know so I can put a link to it. I'm so annoyed that I didn't pin it!



Do you use science notebooks? I'd love to hear your ideas for them. Next week I'm going to share the great banana experiment - it's been my go to activity to start the year ever since I started in 3rd grade and my kids always love it.

and be sure to enter my giveaway!



6 comments:

  1. Hi Julie! I do use science notebooks in my classroom but I'm always looking for ways to improve them. I love your essential questions page, great idea. Pinned! I can't wait to hear about the great banana experiment next week. I was looking for some quick and easy experiments to do teh first few weeks of school that I could use to set up my notebooks and set some expectations. It seems that every year I get some beautiful ones and some really unattractive they went out of their way to show that they didn't care ones.

    Thanks! Great post!
    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a student this year who did the most beautiful work in his science notebook - I wished at the end that I could have kept his notebook as a standard for future students. I did photocopy a few pages to post as examples!

      Julie

      Delete
  2. Hi-
    I am going to TRY notebooks this year, so THANK YOU for sharing this-
    an easy step by step by you set it up is so helpful for me when I have soooo many other things to work on (like we all do!).
    I will be following you-
    step by step!!
    Thanks again!
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your ideas about how to start science notebooking! I want to implement notebooking across the board and your post has helped me start that! By the way, I LOVE the font you used, which one is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The font is called "Miss Law" and is available for free here: http://bit.ly/M2QwR2
      It has become one of my most favorite.

      Julie

      Delete
  4. Great Science Notebook Ideas! Have you seen on pinterest where you can have composition books cut in half? I think I'm going to do this for my second graders this year for their science notebooks!
    ~Meghan

    http://www.mrsmayhew.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover