Monday Made It July 9



One of my favorite DIY projects this summer has been the Flip Chute. As soon as I saw it my mind began to race with ideas for the cards to go with it! Knowing that my kids will love this activity I've been saving my cartons to make multiple chutes. 





If you click on the Flip Chute link you will see a video tutorial by Julie from Make, Take and Teach. A couple tips from my experience -- cut a cardboard pattern for your rectangles, trace onto the carton, and use an x-acto knife to cut it out. Don't worry about getting your covering on perfectly. I used duck tape and it was easy to cut small pieces and patch areas that weren't totally lined up. Also, measure and cut the card stock to the dimensions of your rectangles. That makes your cards slide through better (my first ones were a little too narrow). Last, try cards after taping your card stock and before covering the carton -- just in case you need to adjust a bit.


And now for some cards to use with your new flip chute! You can certainly just use index cards, but I wanted a template that I could use for many different sets to go with standards I'm teaching. I copy them back-to-back on card stock, laminate, and they are ready to go. You can get this starter set for your own classroom here. Enjoy!



16 comments

  1. Very cool! Gotta love that duct tape.
    Thanks for sharing I had never seen a Flip Chute before!
    ~Andi

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so great to use! Thank you for sharing!
    Jennifer
    kindertrips

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a neat and fun idea:) Thanks for sharing and thank too for sharing your starter set:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the idea and the started set. Can't wait to make one!

      Tracey
      Third Grade All Stars

      Delete
  4. I love these. They are so great to use with kids of all ages.

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen these before used for input/output tables but I love the idea of using them with flash cards in general. What a fun way to practice! Add this to my "to do" list!

    Polka Dots and Teaching Tots

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these in third grade--I kept thinking I need to make these again for my kids! Thanks for posting!

    I am one of your newest followers. I would love to have you come by and visit my blog!

    www.ateacherwithoutaclass.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping -- just followed you back!

      Julie
      Math is Elementary

      Delete
  7. I also made a flip chute. I'm going to save another carton to make more, too! I like how they can be used for anything! I'm using mine for math facts, vocabulary, and reading words. Thanks for the tip, I had some trouble making my openings look even. I'm one of your newest followers! Love your blog!
    Mary
    Teaching Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta love another use for duct tape! I'm going to have to make me some of these!

    Hooty's Homeroom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of covering with duct tape! I'm off to find something to cover. :)

    Jena
    1st Grade with Miss Snowden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never understand guys' love for duck tape until the patterned tape started showing up!

      Julie
      Math is Elementary

      Delete
  10. These are great, I love how you covered them. Thanks for sharing.

    Jill
    Bubbalulu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been using duct tape all over in my classroom in cheetah and zebra. So great!
    Drop by anytime :)

    Tracy
    Creekside Teacher Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just became your newest follower. Love the classroom pics!

      Julie
      Math is Elementary

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.