Monday Made It: July 16th



It's Monday Made It time! For the first time I want to show you a "home" made-it. In January I started a new hobby - quilting! I have some friends who are quilters and they infected me with the bug. I grew up sewing, but had not done any sewing for years and had never tried quilting. Now I have finished my first quilt top. The pattern is called Disappearing Nine Patch and I have to say I'm really proud of it. I'm also working on a block of the month quilt and some other projects. Here's my finished top:



I just sent it off in the mail to be quilted on a long arm machine; when I get it back I'll just need to bind it. I tell my students that you can't do much of anything without math, and quilting was one of my real world examples last spring!


For my school project I'm going to direct you to a post I published yesterday. I made my own place value circles out of craft foam. It even comes with some free place value charts. Click the picture to see that post.



I can't wait to see what everyone else has been working on! Enjoy.



16 comments

  1. These are great manipulatives.

    ✣ Miss Nelson✣
    Miss Nelson’s Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That quilt is gorgeous. I come from a long line of quilters, but unfortunately, the talent skipped me! I hope you'll share again when it's finished.

    ✿Lynn
    Inside this Book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is so beautiful. I want one for my guest room!
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Andi

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt! I so wish I had talent to do that. The place value circles are awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    Kristi
    Learning's a Hoot

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the quilt. The manipulatives look awesome! What a great idea. I am a new follower.

    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
  6. Place value is my first unit of the school year. What a great manipulative idea!

    Liliris
    Fourth Grade Garden

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt is so beautiful. I love the manipulatives. Thanks for sharing.

    Jill
    Bubbalulu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I would love to quilt, it's so time consuming! Yours looks AWESOME!
    Nicole
    Rowdy in Room 300
    Come check out my awesome giveaway HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that quilt! I always wish I could learn how to sew!


    Stephany
    primarypossibilities.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful quilt! There is something about quilts that is so very special. By the way, I am a new follower. I would love to have you visit me and link up on my "Blogs of Inspiration" page.
    Happy Teaching,
    Laura
    TIPS: Teach, Inspire, and Prepare Students

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt turned out fabulous! I'm so impressed.

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made such a beautiful quilt! Fantastic! I bet those value circles took a while to make. They're very nice!

    Sarah
    Miss A's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to learn to quilt. I think that would be such a neat ability to have.
    ~April
    The Idea Backpack
    ideabackpack@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your quilt! You did an awesome job. I started quilting a few years ago...it's a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing!

    Nichole
    Craft of Teaching
    craftofteaching@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love both your Made Its Julie! I used to quilt! Loved it when I did it...then stopped because I didn't have time...sad. Love your idea for place value too!!! Thanks for linking up:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.