Friday, July 27, 2012

It's Friday!



I'm off to spend the weekend at a beautiful Orlando resort (OK, it's about 40 minutes from home!) where I am going to try to not do anything school related! My husband is playing in a chess tournament and we could get a room so cheap he decided not to drive back and forth. Before I go, though, I must link up with Fiction Friday! This is one of my favorites, 'cause I love books and reading. Today I want to share some math books that are favorites to use in the classroom. This summer I have been working on creating a few activities to go with some of these books that I use every year. I have a large library of math literature, so in no particular order here are a few I love:

1. The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins (I blogged about it here) - perfect for introducing division

2. Three Pigs, One Wolf, Seven Magic Shapes by Grace Maccarone - my favorite tangram story. I always use it during our geometry study.

3. Grandfather Tang's Story by Ann Tompert - my next favorite tangram story!

4. The Greedy Triangle by Marilyn Burns - in math class you just can't go wrong with Marilyn Burns. Kids love this one!

5. How Big is a Foot? by Rolf Myller (blogged about this one too) - a fantastic way to introduce students to the differences in non-standard and standard measurement.

I hope you will stop by my blog and pick up the free activities that I created to go with a couple of these. The others I just haven't gotten to yet!

Happy Reading!
be sure to enter my giveaway!


2 comments:

  1. I was wondering what you would blog about since you finished all of the SSYRAs, congrats on that by the way! I have been looking for some good math books for 3rd grade, thanks so much for the suggestions! Enjoy Orlando and the chess tournament and your family.

    :) Nicole
    Tadpole Tidbits
    www.mrscorbitt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list of books! You are an incredible resource. Thanks for sharing and linking up.

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover