Friday, July 13, 2012

Fiction Friday Linky!



Once again I'm linking up with The Teaching Thief for Fiction Friday. I have done way more reading this summer than I thought I'd get to, both for pleasure and professional reading. Thank you to Amanda for hosting Fiction Friday -- I'm enjoying having a spot to share some of my booklets for the 2012 SSYRA books. I've now read all 15 of them, and for the most part I really like the list. On Monday my school is holding a reading event in the media center, and I volunteered to help for a couple hours. Hopefully I will be giving one or two book talks for the 3-5  group on some of these books. One book I want to share is Guinea Dog, by Patrick Jennings.





Do you remember wanting a particular pet so much it was all you thought about? Rufus feels like that -- he badly wants a dog. His best friend Murph has the world's best dog, Buddy. Even his frenemy Dmitri has a dog. There's just one problem; his Dad says absolutely not. Dad has an endless list of why Rufus can't ever have a dog:
  • they whine
  • they gnaw
  • they bark
  • they slobber
And on and on. And Mom is no help. She says that since Dad works at home now he'd be with  a pet all day, so it's his call. She does, however, suggest a guinea pig! In spite of Rufus's protests that he doesn't want one, she buys one and brings it home. Rufus names her Fido, and trust me -- she is no ordinary guinea pig. She runs, she fetches . . . 

One of the things I loved about this book is that the question of where Fido came from and why she acts the way she does is never answered! Students will have a lot of fun coming up with ideas about that.

Once again, I have a booklet to go along with this book. Just click the guinea pig to get it (OK, so it's a hamster but my graphics site didn't have a guinea pig!).






6 comments:

  1. I loved this book! I actually read it to last year's class to try and get them excited about reading some of the SSYRAs on their own as great big 4th graders and they LOVED it! Thank you so much for the booklet I will definitely use it in the fall with my new batch of kiddos. Thanks so much!!!

    :) Nicole
    Tadpole Tidbits
    www.mrscorbitt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard great things about this book. It is already on my Amazon wishlist, but it will probably make the big move to my cart today. Your companion responses booklets are awesome too!! Thanks so much for linking up. :)

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks adorable. I'm putting it on my wish list. I found your blog through this linky and am your newest follower. :)
    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin. I'm a new follower of your blog, too!

      Julie
      Math is Elementary

      Delete
  4. I am sure my son will love this book. He loves Humphrey books and Pee wee's Tale (Park Pal Adventure series). I am sure he will love this as well!

    kaylynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. A 6th grader at the book store recommended this book to me, and now I see that I must read it!! Thanks for the awesome recommendation!

    Heather
    Peacocks and Penguins - 4th Grade

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover