Thursday Techday





I am always looking for ways to use technology in my classroom, so Thursday is going to be Techday here at Math is Elementary. To get the fun started I want to tell you about a wonderful little resource from Scholastic (yeah, the book people!). It's called Study Jams and is a site that features some short videos on both math and science. Here are the math topics:


One of my favorite things to do with these is use them as a quick introduction to a concept we are going to learn about. My students are immediately engaged by the cartoon explanation. These also make great activities for the computer work station. In fact, at the beginning of the year when we are exploring place value I make this one of my first computer activities. Students watch the video, complete the brief online quiz, and complete a vocabulary activity. Because it's early in the year, I give them a foldable with the vocabulary already on it and fold and cut lines. Later they just fold paper and make their own.



My students cut across the top and bottom line -- that makes the foldable fit into their math journal better! Then they just cut the lines on the front only (this takes some modeling and practice until they realize they can't cut through the whole thing). Under the flap they illustrate the word and write the definition.


To go directly to the Place Value video, click here. If you would like a copy of my vocabulary foldable that goes with it, just click one of the foldable pictures. Enjoy!



Freebie Fridays

5 comments

  1. Thanks to your post I just spent some time playing around Study Jams...very cool! I am going to add this website to my ever growing list of teaching tools. Also, great idea to have a vocab foldable all ready to go. That makes it easy, especially at the beginning of the year. :)

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the site! I've just become a new follower of your blog.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Find! Thanks for sharing!

    Lynn
    http://insidethisbookblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. I just checked out your blog -- it's new to me --and followed it as soon as I saw your content.

      Julie
      Math is Elementary

      Delete
  4. What a great freebie!
    I can't wait to see what you do each Thursday, I put you on my calendar, I'm that much of a geek!! :)
    Thank you for sharing this at TBA and linking up!
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith’s Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith’s Pinterest Boards!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.