Quiet Dice, Or Preserving My Sanity!

We do a lot of activities in my classroom that involve dice. Almost every day during math work stations the sounds of dice rattling and rolling can be heard. Which is great, except for the part where they really get on my nerves while I'm working with my small groups!


In the interests of preserving my sanity I decided to craft some dice that would not make all that noise. A couple of sponges, scissors, ruler and a permanent marker were all I needed.



The sponges I purchased were about 1 inch thick, so I started by cutting 1 inch strips. I accidentally picked ones with wavy edges -- no problem, I just trimmed them off.


Using the permanent marker, I put dots 1 inch apart the length of the strip and cut.


Then I simply numbered the sides from 1 to 6 (of course I plan to do some with higher numbers also!). My package of sponges had one green and one purple, so green became my numbered dice and purple my operations dice. 


There you have it -- my strategy to keep my sanity! And for a great way to store your dice, hop on over to Little Miss Kindergarten to read about using a simple craft / tool box (I picked mine up at Walmart).

And for more fun, I'm linking up with 4th Grade Frolics "Monday Made it." Click the button and check it out.




10 comments

  1. Julie! Sponge dice is brilliant:))) What a super idea:) Thanks for sharing and for linking up:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute are these!! My school gave me foam ones (which I love), but I don't have enough to go around! This may be my answer! TY for sharing!
    Audrey
    The Sweet Life of Third Grade ~ We're having a SWEET giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why have I never thought of this??? I just found your blog and I'm your newest follower. I need more fun "quiet" ideas like this! haha. Loud flying dice drives me nutssss :/

    Katie
    Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie. I'm following you, too!

      Delete
  4. That is brilliant! Thank you so much for the wonderful idea. I teaching only Reading, Language Arts, and Social Studies but I'm trying to incorporate Math centers on Homeroom Wednesdays. I'm your newest follower and can't wait to explore more into your blog for ideas.

    Thanks again!

    Sabra
    Teaching with a Touch of Twang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sabra! Just checked out your blog and followed. . . love your book recommendation idea!

      Delete
  5. DUH! Haha, I LOVE this. So many possibilities. Pinning this!! :)

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dice noise drives mecrazyalso. Thanks for the wonderful idea.

    I am your newest follower.
    Jill
    Bubbalulu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just followed your blog; your fire story hit close to home! I haven't caught the kitchen on fire yet, but I am always just "checking one thing" or grabbing my iPad and forgetting what I am doing :)

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one bothered by those dice rattling!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.