Math Literature: The Hershey's Milk Chocolate Fractions Book



I love using math literature with my students, and over the years I've collected quite a few favorite books. Over the summer months I'm planning to share some of them with you, including some activities to go with them. This one is a favorite book about fractions. Students love Hershey's chocolate, so it's a natural for a classroom activity! A few years ago I would purchase candy bars for each student . . . but rising prices and teaching two classes have forced me to abandon that practice :)



The Hershey's Milk Chocolate Fractions Book by Jerry Pallotta is a fun way to introduce fractions to students. My students have not done much work with fractions when they come to 3rd grade and I found that they were lost when we began the unit midway through the year. Along with fraction strips, fraction circles, and some virtual manipulatives the Fractions Book was a great way to give them some hands-on experience as they began to develop concepts.

To make it affordable, I created my candy bar models that can be printed and laminated. We never have trouble with them melting! (BTW, miniature candy bars at the end of the activity are much more cost effective.) To go along with them I also have fraction cards, comparison work mats, and equivalent fraction recording sheets.



This is the very first product I have placed in my store. You can purchase this digital download for $2.00 by clicking the My Store tab or by going to my TpT or TN stores. If you choose to download Candy Bar Fractions, please leave me feedback.









2 comments

  1. Hi Julie, LOVE Hershey's chocolate and Hershey's Park. A few years ago, one of my student's grandmother spoke to my class about the history of Herhey's, PA. She grew up there and told us some very interesting facts about it. Not only that, but she brought each student a Hershey's chocolate bar! So sweet of her! You might want to have your students read about the history of Hershey. It's fascinating! Love your blog! I'm your newest follower :)
    http://teacherpark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sweetest place on earth! We lived in PA for many years, and it was a huge favorite of our kids.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.