Equal Shares

Just ask your kids if they have ever had to come up with equal shares -- they have a zillion stories! When I am introducing division I always like to give them a chance to share some of those stories; it can be a very emotional issue as they laugh at some of the stories and express their indignation over times when things were not "fair!" Once I hook them in, I like to use the book The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins. As we learn about division, and later fractions, this story gives us a common language and we refer back to it often.



One of my favorite things to do is assign the characters from the book to students and have them act out the story as I read it aloud, sharing the illustrations with the document camera. My school still allows food, so I bring in a package of cookies, set a plate of a dozen cookies in the middle of a table, and begin the story. When I taught kindergarten I always used the book, and I still use it in 3rd grade. It is one of those wonderful stories that can be used across grade levels. With older students you can extend the learning into fractions or division with remainders very easily. To help you get started I've created a Freebie for you. If you use it with your students, I'd love to hear how you adapt and extend. Just click the picture to download, or go to TpT or TN from the sidebar.


Enjoy!





Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

5 comments

  1. What a wonderful freebie! Thank you for sharing this at TBA and linking up!
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith’s Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith’s Pinterest Boards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Doorbell Rang is my absolute favorite to use with this concept, too. Your character cards are a terrific idea!
    Thanks!

    Linda Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. I love using shared reading to teach math!!
    Arlene
    LMN Tree

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great resource! We also use The Doorbell Rang with our economics unit when covering scarcity.
    Thanks,
    Erin
    http://adventuresinthirdgrade-brown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.