3-D Shapes



It's the last week of school, and we have finally gotten to our solid shapes lessons in math. To make it both fun and educational I wanted a cool hands-on component. Using some drinking straws and chenille stems (pipe cleaners!) we made great models of 3-D shapes!.
               

After looking at models of solid shapes I gave each group a basket of straws which I had already cut in half, chenille stems snipped into small pieces, and demonstrated how to use the stems to connect the straws.



I then turned them loose to get creative with shapes! Here's what it looked like.


  

The last thing we did was fill out a recording sheet to describe our shapes. You can grab a free copy of that here. I wish I could post an audio file so you could here the excitement -- and the great math talk -- that was going on!



Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

3 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. I've done the same idea with toothpicks and marshmallows, but I like that your supplies can be kept and used year to year.


    Yearn to Learn Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat idea! Thanks for sharing at Manic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! We do something similar each year with toothpicks and marshmallows. Thanks for sharing!

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.